Saturday, October 24, 2015

Heart of the [Meat]ter

Muhire dropped the blood-soaked bag at my feet.

“Sorry it took so long,” he grinned, “we spent all day cleaning it.”

I smiled and tentatively reached for the bag. With considerable effort, I lifted it from the ground, blood droplets pooling on the pavement. No cigar-the bag was too heavy and too bloody for me to get in the house by myself. “Thank you so much!” I exclaimed, trying to both hide my alarm and breathe through my mouth.  I waved Mose over to help, said goodbye to the teachers, and turned toward the house.

Mose got the 22 lb bag to the front porch where I took over and dragged it across the living room to the kitchen-leaving a gruesome crimson trail behind me. I plopped it on the ground and peered inside. The metallic smell of raw meat slapped me full in the face, and as I quickly stepped away from the bag, I felt panic bubbling up inside my throat again. Mose, seeing my helpless face through the back door, immediately hopped to action.

Katie, Ben, and a blurry Mose cooking last week
(not raw meat night, it was just Mose and I then)


“Imyaka ni menshi, Mose”, I called in broken Kinyarwanda.  Too much meat. He chuckled as he reached into the bag with his bare hands and pulled out the first side of raw beef. Finding a knife, he expertly started hacking at the mass. “Egide?” He asked, suggesting that we take some to my landlord. I nodded enthusiastically and, as I placed the newly freed bit in a plastic bag, he hurried down the street on his bike to deliver it.

Finding myself alone in the house, I collapsed on the nearest chair. What in the world am I doing? Hands covered in raw meat? Floor fit for an Agatha Christie novel? Entire house reeking of animal blood?

 It was the teachers, I thought.

They had asked Katie and me Friday if we wanted meat. A few Muslim families in Rwamagana slaughtered cattle for the Eid and had offered beef to the teachers at RLS-free of charge. This was quite generous-meat is expensive in Rwanda, and most families only find room in their budget to eat it on special occasions. I was humbled to receive such a gift. However, when I tried to tell the teachers that 2 kilos would be enough for our household, they insisted we each take 5.

“You can share!” They said.

The site of the fateful meat discourse,
my 'desk' at work.

I can share. Suddenly remembering this sentiment, I felt a pang of guilt. The slightly overwhelming receipt of a 22 lb bag of raw meat had all but driven its purpose from my mind. My first thought had been of waste, of taking only enough for myself. My community’s first thought had been of providing for one another, of sharing.

I reflected on my reaction. My thoughts about waste management had come from a good place, but they also came from my own cultural understanding of provision. America often feels like an everyone-for-themselves type operation, yet community after community has tried to teach me a different lesson. My own parents, whose generosity to the point of ridiculousness has awed me since childhood, my home congregation, Faith, whose huge hearts send more out the doors of the church than I can sometimes fathom, my rag-tag band of friends from camp, who, having little themselves, will share their last lonely slices of bread with each other before hikes. And in Rwamagana, again, a lesson in giving, in sharing, in provision. This community provides for each other, they take care of each other…they take care of me.

It reminds me of this beautiful image of the Body of Christ painted in Acts 2: 42-44. Jesus has ascended to Heaven and suddenly this new community in Christ finds themselves let loose in the world. What do they do?

“They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer… All believers were together and had everything in common.”

They shared everything in common.  

In Kinyarwanda, there is a word I’ve learned that, for me, embodies this idea. The word, twese (tw-eh-s-eh) means “all of us, together”. I love this word not only because of the meaning, but because of the way it is used. For example, when someone sneezes in the US, we say “Bless you”. The response: “Thank you.” It’s very polite, nothing wrong with that. But in Rwanda when someone sneezes and you say “Urakire” (Blessings to you), the response is “twese”. Not just bless me, bless all of us together.

In Rwamagana, I have found a community like this, a community of “twese”. I have found a community whose first thought is not of scarcity and self, but of the collective bounty of Christ. To the teachers at school, this community does not just extend to themselves and their families, but to two young American women, to our night guard, to our house mama, to our landlord. To all of us, together.

Some of the teachers who helped with the meat
preparation, Victor, Dan, and Dennis!


I learned a lot the night 22 lbs of raw meat showed up on my doorstep. I learned that the smell of animal blood REALLY lingers. I learned that it takes three pots and a couple hours to accomplish the task of boiling said meat. I learned that without Mose, I would pretty much be sunk. And I learned that being a part of the community of believers means that we should receive first with thanks, and then with an immediate thought of where we can give again.

We are the Body of Christ. Let us care for one another. Let us be humble as we receive. Let us be generous as we give. Let us have everything in common.

Let us be twese, all of us, together. 

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and inspiring, Savanna! I don't think I would have held it together after the first sighting of "meat-bag"!

    ReplyDelete