Friday, December 25, 2015

The (Rwandan) Christmas Song

I have had very few white Christmases. Though the seasonal music of my childhood spoke of ice and snow and Jack Frost, most of my Christmases have been more along the lines of a Heat Miser holiday-so I was ready to spend Christmas just south of the equator. However, this Christmas season I have been even more struck by the disparity between holiday music and the realities of Christmas in Rwanda. Finally, listening to The Christmas Song for the millionth time, I decided to re-write it to reflect my Christmas experience here with a little help from my fellow Rwanda YAGM.

The video link is below, followed by the lyrics. Hope you like it!
Noheli nziza, Merry Christmas!

The Rwandan Christmas Song by YAGM Rwanda


The (Rwandan) Christmas Song

Corncobs roasting on a charcoal fire
Mosquito netting by your nose
“Mwami Yesu” being sung by a choir
And folks wrapped in kitenge clothes
Everybody knows

Laura wearing kitenge and teaching the YAGMs
how to cook at orientation!
Kigali Chorale Christmas concert 
Adventist choir singing on Christmas Day!


Banana trees and avocado
Help to make the season bright
Motos beep, with their headlights aglow
And make it hard to sleep tonight

Banana trees and rolling hills in the
tiny village of Mumeya.

Chad and the famous head-sized avocado.

And when it comes to Christmas day
Well, you won’t find any reindeer or a sleigh
And though there won’t be a spangled tree in sight
You may see Christmas seems a little more right

Christmas Cantata in Kigali 
No trees, no stockings, no gifts but the
savior-and what a gift He is.

And so I’m offering this simple phrase
To kids from Huye to Kivu

Stunning Lake Kivu

My sweet Laura and I in Huye, Rwanda

Although it’s been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas,
Noheli nziza,

Merry Christmas to you.

Noheli nziza from our family to yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment